"XTRA" Paratransit Service
"XTRA" is a demand response transportation service for persons with disabilities, who are unable to use the JCT fixed route bus service, and who are certified as "ADA Eligible" (see below). JCT provides this service in addition to its regular fixed route bus service.The JCT "XTRA" service area is the corporate city limits of Johnson City, TN, or 3/4 mile of a JCT fixed route, whichever provides furthest service to the JCT patron. "XTRA" paratransit is curb-to-curb service, provided from the curb in front of the client's pick-up point to the curb in front of the client's destination. (Door-to-door service, as needed, is provided on a case-by-case basis, as determined by the JCT Director, Paratransit Vehicle, and the JCT Paratransit Coordinator).
To be certified as "ADA Paratransit Eligible", a JCT Paratransit Service Application must be completed. The application includes a certification by the applicant's medical professional or a JCT-approved social service agency. (JCT-approved agencies list is included in the JCT Paratransit Service Application.) JCT will confirm eligibility in no more than 21 days. In the unlikely event that JCT takes longer than 21 days to process the application, the applicant will have presumptive eligibility and be permitted to use paratransit services, until the eligibility decision is made by the agency.
Applications are available at the JCT Transit Center:
- 137 W. Market Street, Johnson City TN, 37604.
- Applications will be mailed upon request, by calling 423-434-6265.
- Applications may also be viewed/printed directly from this site, by Clicking Here.
Reservations and Scheduling
Trip reservations for next day service are accepted by the JCT Demand Response office until 5:00 p.m., by calling the JCT Demand Response office at (423) 434-6265. JCT will accept request for trips up to two weeks in advance of the desired trip date/time.
For additional information about JCT "XTRA" service:
- View and/or print "Information for JCT Paratransit Clents" by Clicking Here
- Contact the JCT paratransit office at 423-434-6265.
Schedule and Fares
JCT "XTRA" service is available during the hours of JCT Fixed Route operations:
- Monday through Friday, 6:15 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:15a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
- The fare is $2.00 per person one-way, and $4.00 round-trip, if the pick-up and destination points are located within 3/4 mile of a JCT fixed route.
- JCT will accommodate trips to points within the City of Johnson City which are outside of its established ADA-paratransit area (3/4 mile of a JCT fixed route) as space allows, at a higher fare, determined by the trip distance.
JCT "XTRA" is provided utilizing a small bus or van, equipped with wheelchair lifts (or ramps), grab rails, and low steps to accommodate riders with special needs. A wheelchair is a mobility aid with three or more wheels, useable indoors, designed for persons with physical disabilities. It may be manually or power operated. JCT will accommodate all wheelchairs which can be safely loaded and transported on JCT vehicles, lifts, and/or ramps, and which allow at least 2" clearance on both sides of the wheelchair between its wheels and the edge of the lift/ramp. JCT's current vehicle fleet is equipped with lifts or ramps which can accommodate a minimum total weight of 660 pounds. JCT is unable to accommodate wheelchairs with dimensions so large they pose a legitimate safety risk (such as a large wheelchair blocking the vehicle vestibule and/or interfering with the safe evacuation from the vehicle in an emergency). Drivers will assist patrons on and off the JCT vehicle as needed/requested. Wheelchairs must be secured in the JCT vehicle by the JCT driver.